Everybody is hopping on the dark lip trend that happens every year around this time, and I thought I would talk about some of my favorites that I feel are very complimentary for fair skinned girls and boys. I've included one lipgloss, nine lipsticks, and three lip liners.
So can you tell I'm a bit obsessed with MAC lipsticks? Yes, it's true and quite tragic since my bank account doesn't like me buying MAC very often haha. I'm at the point where I own every single MAC lipstick that I find really matches my skin tone. As I said in my last post, I've been in this mindset that dark lipsticks aren't really what I like right now, but the more I see them on people the more I am going back to liking dark lips. In celebration of that, I wanted to show you what I find to be my favorites (sans my ultimate favorite MAC dark lippie called Diva, which I cannot find!)
From left to right starting at the back row
- MAC Rebel (mid-tone cream plum; satin; permanent)
- MAC Underworld (deepened red-based brown; satin; limited edition)
- MAC Viva Glam I (intense brownish blue-red; matte; permanent)
- MAC Flat Out Fabulous (bright plum; matte; permanent)
- YSL 07 Le Fuchsia (bright fuchsia; satin; permanent)
- MAC Pro Longwear Lipglass Full Speed Ahead (bright pink magenta; permanent)
- MAC Heroine (bright purple; matte; permanent)
- MAC Lickable (bright clean blue pink; cremesheen; permanent)
- MAC Faux (muted mauve pink; satin; permanent)
- Bite Beauty Bite For VIB Rouge (darkened red; satin; limited to VIB Rouge)
- MAC Lipliners in Soar, Brick, Nightmoth (mid-tone pinkish brown, intense golden red, blackened plum; matte; all permanent)
Soar, Brick, and Nightmoth---all great for helping line your lips and keep the lipstick on longer. Pair Soar with Faux, Brick with Bite Beauty + Viva Glam I + Underworld, and Nightmoth with all the darkener purples/plums. For brighter colors, you might want to mix Soar with either Brick or Nightmoth depending on the color.
Full Speed Ahead, YSL Fuchsia, Heroine, Lickable
Lickable and Faux
Bite Beauty for VIB Rouge, Rebel, Underworld, Viva Glam I
Viva Glam I and Flat Out Fabulous
Depending on the kind of style you want and color exposure, choosing the type of lipstick is important---whether it is a satin, cremesheen, lustre, matte, and whatnot all affects the payoff of the lipstick. If you want your lipstick to stay a long time with great color payoff, stick to satins and mattes. If you want not too intense color but average wearability with a glossy finish, stick to cremesheens. If you want a light wash of color, stick to lustres. Keep in mind that if you have dry lips then mattes might not be the most comfortable. Be sure to exfoliate your lips and use a creamy lip primer beforehand, it will help tons! As well with lustres and cremesheens, you really need to exfoliate before or else it will highlight all of your lip imperfections. Satins are great because you can get away with anything, really, since it is 100% opaque coverage and just glides on over whatever is in its way. It really does matter the finish of the lipstick!
These are my picks, what are yours?